CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 8, 2011

The News Is Out

Dear Baby Hawley,

After you gave us a little scare yesterday, we decided to tell the world about you.  Mostly, I was afraid that if something bad were to happen, I'd want my friends and family to already know about you.  I was pretty worried yesterday.

First we talked with Sam.  He was home, so that was easy :)  He says 'hello.'
Then we called Grandma Colby.  That sounds weird to me.  I wonder what we will call her.  We already have a Grandma Colby--that's Grandma Elaine.  I wonder if YOUR Grandma Colby will want to be Grandma or Granny or choose another name.  I called her in the afternoon and we chatted for a bit.  Then I asked if she was sitting down and she said, "Oh dear, what's up?"  I told her I am pregnant and started to cry.  You scared me more than I wanted to admit, and talking to my own mom about it was pretty sad.  Once I told her about yesterday's events, we were both excited.  It was so good to finally tell her!  I had kept it a secret for a few weeks and that was hard to do when we were talking on the phone.  Dad was out giving a presentation and meeting with some friends, so I asked Mom to share the news.  That way I could be sure he would know today when we were telling everyone else.

One reason I had hoped to keep it a secret is because your Aunty Crystal is getting married very soon and I wanted to make sure that she didn't feel that we would take anything away from her day.  She had been careful about that on our wedding day (she had a new boyfriend and didn't even tell me) so that the time with family could focus on our celebration.  I wanted to do the same for her, but then I needed my family at this point too.

Speaking of Aunty Crystal, she is the next person I called and she can't wait to meet you either.  I don't remember what I said to her, but I recall that I didn't even have to say much--she knew why I was calling her at work.  I explained to her that we'd wanted to keep it a secret but then needed to tell, and she said that is great--she's so glad that she knows.  I expect you'll be getting LOTS of presents from her.  She loves to shop and has lots of experience being an aunty to her friends' kids.

After Crystal, I called Ellen.  I do remember what I said to her.  Ellen has a teaching degree but unfortunately hasn't found a job yet.  That's too bad because I know she'll be a great teacher.  I asked Ellen if she had any prospects for jobs for next year and she got a bit mad at me.  It's frustrating to want a job so much and not be able to get one.  Once I calmed her down I said that I knew of an opportunity for her.  She hesitantly asked what was up and I said that I will be needing a long-term sub next fall.  After a few seconds of silence, you probably heard her squeal--Yeah!!!!  She's so excited about you, too.  If only she could come down here and be my long-term sub.  Hopefully, though, she'll have her own job in St. Paul and won't even need to be a substitute.


After that, we started to call the Hawley siblings.  Nate and Heather were home so Daddy talked with them for a bit (and then Heather started texting me).
Then Daddy called Dave.  The funny thing is that Daddy talked with him for a while and FORGOT to tell him the news.  I made him call back.


We didn't have to call Mark and Anna because they would be over shortly (Thursday = guys night).  We waited until all the guys (and Anna, Ezra, and Leah) had assembled and told all of them.  There was lots of cheering and smiling--you are going to be loved by many!



We didn't think Ezzy and Leah were really listening.  They certainly didn't look interested in our conversation, but later on, we found out they knew exactly what was up.  Mary Grace came over to visit and while Ezzy was showing her what the kids were playing in the basement, he piped up with "Allison is going to have a baby," before I even told her!  That surprised all of us.  We didn't think he really understood what was going on, but he fooled us.  Again, there was more smiling and congratulating.

That left Rachel and Alex to tell.  We decided to wait until Friday to tell them because we could then stop by their house and tell them in person.  Rachel was also very excited and had lots of questions for me.  I can't wait to have lots of questions for her in the coming weeks and months, too.


Let's see.  I also called Grandma Colby.  I told her that Mom and Dad have some news they'd want to talk about when they see her tomorrow and I wanted to give her a heads up.  I said that they would want to share that THEY will soon be grandparents.  She responded with, "Well, I'll be."  That's a Grandma saying.  She's excited that you are on the way.  

Those were the first people we told.  Now all of our parents and siblings know and soon everyone else will too.  We are excited to share this great news with everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment